FROM BARRAI TO BARROW
Permission has been given by the committee of Barrow Naturalists’ Field Club for the work to be reprinted.
In 1801, John Hunter was the occupier, and had Jacob Parker, the tide-
Thomas Deason succeeded John Hunter as tenant, and afterwards Thomas King, hind to John Paxton, resided here.
2. Cottage occupied by Robert Dixon.
3. Cottage occupied by George Huddleston. Up to 1842 it had been occupied by Robert Thexton. These two cottages were built about 1830 on the site of an old smithy in which work had been attended to twice a week by William Postlethwaite, blacksmith of Hawcoat.
5. Cottage occupied by Betty Simpson, labourer.
OWNER: THOMAS HODGSON, OFFICER OF CUSTOMS, BARROW
The house was rebuilt in 1743, by Christopher Brown, master mariner, of Barrow.
The Cottage was built about the year 1780, and was occupied for some 40 years by Christopher Wilkinson, ore-
The house was built in the 18th century, and like the other farm-
Peggy Wilkinson succeeded Mary Falshaw as the village school-
10. Cart shed, occupied by the owner.
This shed had originally been a one storey thatched cottage, built about the middle of the 18th century. The Cottage was occupied for the first thirty years of last century by Matthew Dixon, ore-
12. House and shop, occupied by Thomas Sherwin, grocer. The premises had been occupied by William Barker, grocer, till his death, about 1835.
The kiln was built early in the 19th century, and was rented for many years by Joseph Fisher, farmer and maltster, who resided at No 26.
16. Iron Ore yard, occupied by Thomas Atkinson, Matthew Denney and George Ashburner in the 18th century. In 1801 James Harrison, farmer, and victualler, was the occupier. He was succeeded by his son Thomas, whose widow Betty kept the inn till her death.
of Ivy Cottage
16. Iron Ore yard, occupied by Thomas Atkinson, Matthew Denney and George Ashburner.
At the beginning of the 19th century a small barn occupied the site. John Idle used the barn for many years as a schoolroom till about 1815, when the house was built for Captain Barrow.
(The house was opened as a grocer’s shop by James Fisher, who in April, 1847, was appointed first postmaster at Barrow).
18. Inn, ‘Burlington Arms’, occupied by James Tyson.
This was the original farm-
20. Inn. ('Ship Inn'), occupied by Rachel Robinson, widow of William Robinson, who died in 1842. The first house on this site was built about the year 1745 on the foreshore, barely out of the reach of an ordinary spring tide. John Cragg was the landlord at the beginning of the last century, and he was succeeded by William Cragg. John Parker occupied the inn for some time prior to William Robinson's tenancy.
21. Smithy and Cottage, occupied by Matthew Todd, blacksmith. Built about 1820, and for some time occupied by Thomas Gibson, the predecessor of Matthew Todd.
22. Iron Ore yard and jetty or stage, occupied by the owners. The jetty was built in 1790.
(The 'Ship Inn' now occupies the site of the ore yard).
The house was built about the year 1780, and occupied by William Barker, grocer, till he built his new shop in 1803 (See No 12).
Iron Ore Route to Waterfront
(Public Road on Plan)
THE VILLAGE OF BARROW IN THE PARISH OF
OWNERS AND OCCUPIERS IN 1843
With notes by WILLIAM BARROW KENDALL 6th January, 1903
The numbers prefixed to these notes refer to the corresponding numbers on the accompanying plan.
Click on a thumbnail picture to get a larger image. Click on the X in the top right to return to the text
by Alice Leach
24. Cottage, occupied by Robert Thexton, lately removed from cottage numbered 3 on Map. Matthew Dixon lived here after vacating the old cottage No 10.
25. Cottage, occupied by William Atkinson, labourer, known as 'Wicked Will' to distinguish him from the other William Atkinson, who was called 'Civil Will' (See No 32). This cottage and the proceeding one were built about 1830.
27. Coal yard, occupied by Philip Fisher.
28. Coal yard and old lime-
29. Iron Ore yard, office and stage or jetty, occupied by Robert Town, and Joseph Rawlinson.
The jetty was built about the year 1833. (The 'Royal Hotel', now the Barrow Amateur Cycling and Athletic Club House, occupies the site of the ore yard).
30. Rough slope and lime-
31. Iron Ore yard, office with weighing machine, and jetty or stage, occupied by John Schneider, Henry William Schneider, James Farrell and James Davis. The jetty was built in 1842. The Harbour Hotel now occupies the site of the ore yard.
This house (known as 'Thimble Hall') was built by Jacob Parker, about the year 1810, and occupied by Anthony High, tailor, till 1822. James Fell, butcher, occupied William Atkinson's house between 1830 and 1840.
33. Three cottages, occupied by Henry Guinnes, ore-
The site of Schneider’s Jetty