Barrow-in-Furness  Civic and Local History Society
History Society Home Page Contact Us Aims & Short History Programme Sponsors History of Barrow Memories/Oral History Local History Research Links


In 1843, a Chapel of Ease was built near Newbarns; before this period, people walked every Sunday to the Parish Church at Dalton, four miles away, to the ancient chapel on Walney Island, or to Rampside Chapel. A local Wesleyan preacher from Scales travelled from Dalton to Barrow once a fortnight to preach.

Children were taught the catechism by their parents, in preparation for the annual catechising of children at Dalton Parish Church. In 1826, William Fisher paid nineteen pounds for a seat in Dalton Church.

There was no Roman Catholic Church in Barrow village at this time, but some of the villagers must have been Catholics for in 1836 W. Fisher records the death of a child ..... "aged about 6 months interd at Walney without any serimony being of the Romen perswason".